Thursday, May 22, 2008

May 22 :: Worry Wart

I drive myself nuts. I am such a worry wart, worrying about anything and everything. Mainly ridiculous things that I have no control over. As a result of my terrible habit, I wasted a whole afternoon today.

Let's back up a bit. You need to know all the details. I had just gotten home from the Gym and was feeling fantastic. I was pleased with myself too as I had tons of time to spare before having to pick up the kids from school. I decided I was going to hop in the shower, have lunch and then go and do a whole bunch of errands. Well after my shower I noticed there was a message on the answering machine. It was the school Principal asking me to call her as soon as I could. She even left her direct line to her office. GREAT! I am thinking what did Bradyen do? As you recall he has had two trips to the Principals office this year. So that was fresh in my mind. Reluctantly I called her only to have her ask if she could call me back in the next 15 mins. She was in a meeting. GREAT!!! I thought no problem I can still make it to the grocery store and the car insurance office. 2 hours later she still hadn't called!
Most sane people would have just gone out and done their errands. But did I? No of course not! I spent two hours agonizing over why she could possibly be calling me at home. Did I do something? I am PAC chair after all, perhaps I screwed up somehow. Did Bradyen do something naughty? Did something horrible happen to Danielle...Maybe something happened to my Husband and his work called the school. The scenarios were endless. Why oh why do I worry so much? It's ridiculous. I am sure my friends that know me well are reading this laughing. They can attest to my horrible habit of worrying!

So how did it all end? Well I waited all afternoon for her to call. I didn't get to the grocery store, nor the car insurance shop. I did pray a whole lot and I cleaned my toilets and sinks...at least that's something positive right? Two and a half painful hours later, I went to the school to pick up the kids. But before I did I swung by the Principals office. As soon as she saw me she said "OOPS...I forgot to call you back. I was just going to ask you the name of the complex you live in"! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me? Did I seriously just waste a whole afternoon worrying about all these horrible things, and not go grocery shopping because of that?
Lesson learned....for now! Worrying is such a waste of time and energy. Besides 90% of what we worry about never happens. If only I could remember that!
Oh yeah... This is supposed to be a photo challenge post so here is a photo of me...Mrs Erin Leigh Worry Wart!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute self portrait, Erin!

I'm with you on the worrying front. I get carried away, too. I try to keep busy, but I find that my mind always goes back to the "problem." It's really hard to break the habit, but it's certainly possible.

XO

Julie said...

Oh, no... I can't stand waiting around for promised calls that never come!

Anonymous said...

Cute phone, Erin!

I do the same thing when someone wants to talk to me--I always think it is something wrong. Funny thing is that it hardly ever is!

Katie said...

Funny!!

Last night the boys and I went to see Prince Caspian- I was struck by how much Susan looked like you. She could be your sister!

Have a good weekend :-)

kat | Taylor Made designs said...

oh, I have wasted a lot of time + energy thinking the worst... but I'm getting better with not going "there". I'm glad it was nothing serious. At least your toilets are clean! and you look awfully cute in your photo!