Friday, May 9, 2008

May 9 :: Fly Away

First off forgive me. I know I said I was going to post a photo a day but yesterday I was flat out in bed with the flu. I figured you all would forgive me for missing one day!

Today was a lovely day. Brayden's teacher put on a Mother's Day tea this morning for all us Mum's, Aunt's and Grandma's in his class. Actually there were three classes in all that attended the tea. It was so sweet, the kids and teachers went to so much work. We had tea and goodies and then watched our kids perform a few songs. Some of the Mum's were in tears watching the kids perform. It really was precious. The whole event ended with Brayden's class going outside to release some Butterflies.
Brayden's teacher did a great science project with the kids. They studied the life cycle of The Painted Lady Butterfly. A while back the teacher ordered Butterfly larvae. They were kept in an aquarium so that the kids could witness their life cycle. They were able to watch them grow into caterpillars. They got to see the caterpillars make their cocoons, I think it's called a pupa, then see them hatch (not sure if that's the correct terminology). The teacher decided that today the butterflies needed to be set free. So after the performance we all went outside to set the butterflies free. The kids were so excited as they each got to have a butterfly on their finger. Then off they flew. It was really neat as the school field was covered with Painted Lady Butterflies. All in all it was a fantastic day. I do plan on posting tomorrow and Sunday...but just in case I don't, have a wonderful weekend and a very Happy Mother's day!



1 comment:

Julie said...

This brings back memories... we did a Painted Lady butterfly unit when I taught third grade! It was always so fun for the kids to watch the life cycle!