I love to sew but you wouldn't know it by my lack of sewing posts. The problem is that there is no where for me to keep my sewing stuff set up permanently. Every time I sew I have to set up a card table, drag out all my sewing totes and dust off the sewing machine. Sometimes it takes me longer to set-up and clean-up then it does to sew. I end up being lazy and not sewing. I need to figure out a space in our wee little house that can be dedicated just to sewing. Anyways my niece turned 3 on the weekend. Danielle wanted to get her a Groovy Girl doll. So I decided to make a blanket for the doll and also a ballet bag for my niece! It felt so good to sew again...can you believe it has been over a year since my last sewing project? The pictures aren't that great as we were running out the door to the party and the pictures were an after thought. I didn't get a picture of the blanket but that is it tucked into the bag on the left side next to the doll. One side is white corduroy and the other side is the same heart material that I used to line the bag with! I did a red zigzag stitch all around the edges of the blanket and my trade mark heart stitched onto the middle of bag. I truly love to sew (with out patterns of course, I am way too impatient for that). I plan on sewing and knitting most of my Christmas gifts this year so I really need to figure out a good sewing spot! Any ideas? Where do you guys have your crafts/sewing stuff set up?

6 comments:
Hi Erin.
Well, I just recently began sewing and to encourage the activity, I have my machine set up in the playroom. That way I can sew while Victor plays (or at least that's the idea for when winter comes and we aren't outside as often.) My fabric and such is in a cabinet in the room.
Perhaps you can carve out a corner of a room in the house for a simple table to hold your machine.
Best wishes!
XO
I don't have the room to leave my sewing stuff set up either so I purchased a sewing cart from wal-mart. It's perfect. It looks like a piece of furniture when all closed up. Here's the link http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1984564
Hope this helps!
Angela
I like Angela's idea of a little table for your sewing stuff. You will do it more if it is convenient!
Rubbermaid totes also work well for carting around your fabric and stuff.
looks great!
you need to check out Amandajean's blog. She has the best tutorials! I want to do each and every one of them. I just need to find the time :)
http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com
have a great weekend!
I'm a sewing wonder waiting to happen. My head and heart want to sew many things, yet my skills are few and I haven't been sewing much at all lately.
I have made some purses and have plans to make aprons next. I was hoping for Christmas presents but we just found out we are going to put our house on the market and I'm not sure I will have time. We really need to get thing in order within the next 3-4 weeks. Egad!
I have found my machine set up in my bedroom. Now to get it dusted off as I'm resizing a chair cover and need to get it done pronto!!!
Let us know what you figure out.
Oh, Erin, I so understand your crafting space woes! I used to spends as much time dragging out my jewelry supplies as I actually spent on making jewelry. Finally, when we moved to our new apartment, there was a built-in desk that I claimed for my craft space. There are just a few little shelves below it, but I've gotten good at keeping my supplies really organized so they are hidden from sight most of the time. Angela's idea sounds like it would serve the same purpose for your sewing needs. You definitely need to carve out a space for your sewing if it would allow you to sew more often. Your projects are so sweet!
P.S. Thanks for the music suggestion the other day. I need some upbeat tunes like that to get me moving!
Post a Comment