Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Books!

Well summer is officially over. The kids had their first day back at school today and even though it was only for an hour...I missed them. Tomorrow they go back full-time. The house will be very quiet without them and I will be lonely. That being said it will be nice to have some free time to work on some decorating projects around the house. Projects that I have been meaning to work on ever since we bought our house 3 years ago! I need to dust off my sewing machine and paint brushes and get cracking!

Okay I completely went off on a tangent there. This post is supposed to be about books not my projects. I read some great books this summer but perhaps my favourite non-fiction book was Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. At times the writing was choppy and disjointed (like I am one to talk), but the story is incredible. It's a true story about a man on a mission to build schools for thousands of underprivileged children in Pakistan and Afghanistan. It was an extremely inspiring book. Well worth the read.

My favourite Fiction book of the summer was Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. Even though it's fiction I could relate to so many things in the book. It's also a book that really made me think. An eye-opener if you will. How precious life is and how we take so many things and people for granted. I have to warn you...it's not a light read. It's rather heavy towards the end and you definitely need to keep the Kleenex handy.

Currently I am reading a boring book by Luanne Rice....so boring I can't even remember the title, yet I am forcing myself to finish it. I also just started reading St. Maybe by Ann Tyler. So far so good. What are you all reading? Anything that you would recommend? I might try and start up a book club this year. Something I have been wanting to do for years but just never had the time!

Alright off to make dinner. You should know by now that I feel like it's not a post without a picture. So here are some photos from our trips.
Tidal pool
Jelly Fish!!!

5 comments:

Webster Twelb said...

the pictures look great! I love the jellyfish picture.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book recommends! I need some ideas since lately the books I have picked haven't been so great.

Ann Tyler is one of my favorites. She has a talent for putting a full character on a page. You really feel like you know the people she is writing about. Please let me know what you think of the book!

kat | Taylor Made designs said...

I'm going to check out Firefly Lane :) I read three cups of tea too. Loved it... but agree with the writing style. Reading a new book, The Devil in the White City. I'm only on page 20... so I can't say if it's going to be great. But everyone has raved about it. Good to see you back :)

I agree with you... it's pretty quiet without the kids!

Julie said...

I'm currently reading Edgar Sawtelle. My MIL loaned it to me and she really loved it. I'm not far enough along to know what I think yet.

sulu-design said...

I think it's a great idea to start a book club now that the kids will be back in school. I just finished reading "A Little Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon (I loved his "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime") and really enjoyed it, but I like dark humor. It may not be the most universally appealing book. Just warning you. :)