Friday, August 31, 2007

A Fine Balance



Three and a half years ago my son had an anaphylactic (life threatening) reaction to some peanuts. He almost died. However, thanks to immediate medical attention at the hospital Brayden pulled through, but it was a scary few days. While we haven't had another serious reaction since, our life has changed drastically since that day. Most restaurants are not safe, we always have to bring food with us for Bradyen where ever we go, playgrounds are scary as are places like science world, school, friends and families houses. See the problem is Brayden only needs to touch something that has peanut residue on it to send him into anaphylactic shock. If someone at school ate a peanut butter sandwich and then touched a door knob, swing or computer keyboard if Brayden, unaware, touched it...he could be in trouble.
I have considered homeschooling Brayden because of his allergies but I realized it's not the right reason to home school. I can't keep my son in bubble wrap for the rest of his life. I have to give him the tools to protect himself and educate other people how to keep him safe. You see it's a fine balance between protecting him and keeping him safe and letting him live his life like a normal 6 year old boy!
I had a meeting this morning with Brayden's school principle to come up with an action plan and discuss how and when to use his Epi-pen and inhalers. It went well but we both decided that for now the safest place for Brayden to eat lunch, is at home. For now that makes me feel a bit better knowing he will be eating lunch at home but...It's not a long term solution. I am not too worried though as the school administration is willing to work hard to come up with a solution to keep Brayden as safe as possible at school. I am sure in a few months time we will find something that works for all of us.
I don't know why I am sharing this info with you...maybe to educate you on how severe food allergies can be...maybe I just need to get my thoughts out to feel better....maybe it's to prepare myself for the coming school year and my responsibilities to educate teachers, staff and students at the school...regardless thanks for listening!
It's a holiday this weekend in Canada so I wont be posting until sometime mid-week, once the kids are settled back at school. Until then...I hope you all have a great weekend.




7 comments:

Katie said...

A friend has a son with the same allergy. I know it's quite frightening for her to contemplate the possibilities. it sounds like you've got a plan, which is probably the most important thing!

Brayden coming home for lunch should be easy - don't you back on to the school grounds?

sulu-design said...

My nephew's got a similar issue (although not quite as severe as your son's). It's nice to hear how approachable and proactive your school's administration is about the issue. Does the condition ever lessen over time?

Anonymous said...

my nephew has a peanut, tree nut and egg allergy....it is so hard to deal with. my question to you...what makes it easier when you are visiting someone? do you let them know about the allergies in advance? just wondering for my sister in law.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't imagine having to deal with such a severe allergy – it's really frightening to think about what could happen to your sweet one. But you sound so prepared! It can't be easy.

Anonymous said...

Our school has a nut free policy. My kids don't have allergies but so many of their friends do. Have you talked to the Principal about setting a policy for your school...or at the very least making Brayden's classroom peanut free?

randi said...

Lunches together will be a good way to not only keep your guy away from the offending foods, but it will be a fun time for the two of you--a lunch date each and every day!

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Our school is totally nut free in response to kids who have allergies like Brayden's. It causese some creative lunch packing for the rest of us, but it's a small hassle when you consider how precious these kids are. Love your sweet boy's face!