Thursday, November 29, 2007

Christmas is Coming???

I love Christmas, it is by far my favourite holiday. Typically the house would have been decorated, cookies baked, gifts sewn or knitted weeks earlier. For some reason or another I just can't seem to get into it this year. Can you relate??? That being said I realized that the Advent count down starts on Saturday.... so I need to snap out of it and get into the Christmas Spirit! So I spent the day decorating the house, with lot's of help from Brayden, who is feeling much better, but still not back at school.
I made 24 of these little advent stockings last year. Some of the material came from my stash and some of it came from Danielle and Brayden's old clothes. Clothes that I just couldn't bear to part with. Crazy I know! I can cut them up, but I can't give them away. I decided not to number them that way I can change the order around a bit if I get bored! The kids get so excited checking out the stockings every morning to see what treasure awaits them.
(I got the idea last year for the Advent stockings here and here)


The lights were hung inside the kitchen window, and the outdoor lights and tree will go up on Saturday.
On a completely different topic.... Brayden and I discovered that the Internet is a great place to find Easy Bake recipes for free (I refuse to spend $4.00 to buy an Easy Bake Mix, that is full of garbage anyways). Brayden made a Crazy Cake all by himself....he also ate it all by himself too!
I must run....I have sewing to sew....knitting to knit....and gifts to make. I hope you all have a lovely weekend!!!

7 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, Erin.... I love the little stockings you made for Advent and what a great way to use clothing you can't part with! Your fireplace looks beautiful!

Glad to hear Brayden is on the mend! I'm curious about the Easy Bake oven- do D & B use it often? (I had one when I was little... but I don't know anyone who has purchased one recently to see how they like it.)

Heidijayhawk said...

those stockings are so awesome!! i love them! i suppose i need to figure this out huh! i want to make advent stuff every year and every year i punt it. one more day though!

Katie said...

The stockings are such a great idea, I love them!

As a child I always wanted an easy bake oven but the closest I got was the easy bake baking kit. Mini pans and couple of mixes. It wasn't quite the same!

Anonymous said...

Those stockings are adorable! I love the rick rack trim.

We are SLOWLY getting into the holiday spirit here (everything happens slowly around here since Victor arrived!). The tree is up and the music's playing. This weekend I hope to bake some cookies.

Happy weekend, Erin! Glad to hear Brayden is feeling better.

XO

Anonymous said...

Those stockings are adorable! The kids must love waking up and seeing what's inside. Cute Cute.

Hope everyone is feeling better.

I'm sure a little homemade, easy-bake-cake makes everything a bit nicer :)

Susan said...

I LOVE the advent stockings! If you did want to number them a little velcro goes a long way for switching them out each year!

We were never allowed to have an easy bake oven...too messy. We were never allowed to help or cook in the kitchen either. Too messy.

Consequently, it is a FREE-FOR-ALL in our kitchen with our own kids!

randi said...

The stockings are adorable! I wish I had the patience to make enough for a garland like that. I would probably give up after about 5. :(

Your little guy looks so cute sneaking treats from the Easy Bake!