Monday, June 25, 2007

What do Rainbows have to do with parenting?

Well I am back, after an unintentional break. Life was very busy last week and it didn't leave time for posting. So here I am. Be for warned, this is going to be a long winded post so if you have time, grab a cup of tea and check it out. I have lot's of catching up to do!!

The garage sale was a success, 19 families participated and we had lot's of traffic despite the wacky weather. I must admit though...I think that might be the last time I do a garage sale. People literally want to pay next too nothing for things. I was actually feeling sick about parting with a few things and then when someone offers 25 cents for it, it makes it worse! Needless to say we did get rid of a lot of stuff, two bikes, a booster seat, toys, books and knick knacks!


The weekend was filled with three birthday parties, bike rides, garage sales, church and some major purging of "STUFF" around the house. It was a fun but exhausting weekend. The kids had to drag themselves out of bed for school this morning....only 4 days left!

I have mixed emotions about the end of school. On the one hand, I am really looking forward to not having to follow a routine, getting up when we want, doing what we want. I am looking forward to spending lot's of time with the kids and going on all our camping adventures but....I also dread the end of school too. As much as I look forward to not having a routine I also fear the lack of routine. What will we do for 8 weeks? What if the kids fight? What if they drive me nuts? I wont have any "Me" time during the day! Silly I know...I know in a few weeks time we will get into a summer time rhythm and all will be well.

The other thing weighing on my mind is Brayden. He has been extremely challenging lately and I am exhausted just dealing with him. I love him to bits but sometimes he just pushes the limits! I was feeling very discouraged yesterday after church. Brayden didn't end up going to Sunday school and stayed in church with us. He then decided to throw a convulsing -but quiet- fit in church because I wouldn't let him eat during the service. I wanted to throttle him right then and there in the presence of GOD! The little fit lasted for almost 45 mins. I tried to ignore him as best I could but it's hard when your kid is rolling around on the ground at your feet clutching his stomach in supposed hunger! Oh did I forgot to mention that Brayden is quite dramatic?

Needless to say, I had one of those mothering moments yesterday in which I wish I could hit rewind and start over again! I don't believe in hitting or spanking my kids but I tell ya yesterday I came close! I have come to the realization that I can't parent Brayden the way I parent Danielle. It just doesn't work. They are like apples and oranges, water and chocolate. Both good but different. I need a more effective way in dealing with Brayden that doesn't include yelling! I want to understand him better. I need to keep my cool when he tests those boundaries. I want to discourage the negative behaviour and encourage the positive. If any of you parents out there with boys have any good books or tips on disciplining/raising boys please enlighten me. Hopefully this summer we will work on that! Otherwise it's going to be a long long summer!

The day did not end on a sour note. Brayden and I had a long talk, a long cuddle and then looked out the window to see this! If God can do wonders in the sky surely he can do wonders in helping me be a better parent to my little big guy!






I hope you all had a great weekend!!

7 comments:

Julie said...

It was nice catching up on your weekend.... I know exactly what you mean about garage sales. We have a neighborhood sale every May and it's crazy how much work it takes to prepare and then how little people want to pay!
About the parenting advice, we read a book several months ago and are still using the information. We thought it was pretty good. It's called 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children by Thomas W. Phelan

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin. We had a yard sale the first summer after we moved to our current home, and I don't think I'll ever do it again. Of course, we met some of our neighbors that way, so that part was a plus. I just thought the rest of it was too much work for the return we got. So now my unwanted stuff goes off to Goodwill or another thrift shop.

I have no advice on the parenting questions--in fact, discipline is the part of becoming a mother that I'm most worried about. I haven't spent much time with toddlers and young school-age children, so I really don't know what I'm in for when we get to that stage. My prayers are with you...

We saw a rainbow here, too, sometime last week.

XO,
Jill

beki said...

Oh, those challenging little boys! I'm just now getting my dose. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to give myself lots of timeouts :)

sulu-design said...

I'm so glad that you ended the post on such an uplifting note. It sounds like all worked out in the end, but I know how it feels when you're in the middle of a tantrum or other misbehavior - not from a parent's perspective but from a teacher's. I also know the feelings that you're having now about school ending - I have them every fall when school begins. You are such a reflective, thoughtful mom that I know you'll pull through this summer. My best wishes to you at the end of the next four days!

Anonymous said...

you were busy this weekend!
i wish i had some good parenting books/ideas for you, but i don't. i have heard that the 1-2-3 Magic book that Julie mentioned is good so maybe you should check it out. i do know what you mean about parenting your kids differently. both of mine are girls and they are so different and really respond to different things. trial and error is what has helped me. good luck - i'll be sending happy thoughts your way!
oh, and about summer break - go slow and it'll be great!

robiewankenobie said...

i feel ya', woman. i've got two boys, one six, and one four.

the one time that i really remember was when #2 was a newborn, and #1 was being a real pill. i sent him to his room, and shut the door...so i wouldn't smack him into next tuesday. i gook some deep breaths, centered myself, and headed back into the room.

where i found a line around the room. sharpie wall wall in the dresser out of the dresser across the window down the bed up the bed...

i figure if everyone got out of that alive and kickin', that i might get through these younger years in one piece.

i don't think any parent out there glides through it all with 24-hour a day grace. well, unless they have a nanny to do the dirty work. *grin*

i'm glad that you were able to reconnect with him at the end of the day. that's the important thing, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

It is amazing just how different two children from the same family can be! My ten year old was such a major handful when he was younger that my hubby and I weren't sure if we would make it. There were honestly times when I thought that maybe God placed him in the wrong family! But alas, God knows what He is doing and he has grown out of a lot of his antics, although I still have to be careful when things are really quiet, be cause he will generally be up to no good! ;)