Monday, May 7, 2007

A Heavy Heart

It's with a heavy heart and tears that I am writing this post at 2 am in the morning. Let's back up a few hours....



I was reading my daily devotional while snuggled up in bed around Midnight. Seeing what Jesus had to teach me for the day. Suddenly I heard a bunch of shouting outside and a dog barking frantically. I jumped out of bed to look outside. I didn't like what I saw. Cops with their guns drawn and yelling! Some of you don't know that I live right behind my kids school. It's a lovely school in a great family oriented neighbourhood. There is a fence that separates our property from the school. But it literally is a stones throw away.



Back to the story.... I hid behind my bedroom curtain while peeking out at what was going on at the school. Seems some idiots broke into the school and trashed it. The cops had somehow been notified and were in the process of trying to catch the suspects whom were still inside the school. Thus the barking dog. Seems the dog caught one of the suspects. There was a flurry of activity a lot of cops, a lot of yelling and my heart just sunk. I could hear snippets of the Police officers conversations to the suspects once arrested and placed in the back of the cop car...."Why did you do that to the school? Why did you trash every single classroom?" You are criminals absolute criminals." "Do you know how long it's going to take to clean up this mess?" If I have my way you will be coming back here to clean it all up."




Oh my heart breaks for my kids, the other students and teachers that go to the school. What will we see when we go to school in 6 hours? How will I explain to my innocent children that there are some sick people out there that would break into a school and trash it? I honestly fear what we will see when we go to school tomorrow. What will have happened to all the art work, projects and student work? Will it all be ruined? What kind of world do we live in that someone would break into a school and trash it? I am assuming they are teenagers. That's what they looked like to me when I saw them being led from the school. What I would also like to know is where are the parent's of these kids?






Here is a picture from my bedroom window of the Police cars at the school. I know it's hard to see but the lights are from the Police cars. There are also two school board trucks there to board up the window the kids smashed to get into the school.



You know funny thing is...I feel guilty. If only I had been listening a little harder, or looked out the window before I went to bed. Maybe I would have seen something and could have prevented this. You see I have called the Cops in the past when I see kids drinking or looking like they are up to no good. The Police always come right away and sort it all out. The running joke at the school is that I am the "Watch Dog". I keep my eyes and ears open and make sure the school is safe. Well I can't help but feel like I let the school down. I also can't help feeling a little vulnerable and insecure knowing this stuff is going on in my backyard.





I don't know how or when.... but somehow a move might be in our future. While it has been a definite blessing living so close to the school, it definitely has it's downside too. Thanks for listening and letting me vent. But I guess for now all I can do is pray for protection. I also need to Thank God that the school wasn't burned down and that the thugs were caught. I better go and try and get at least a few hours of sleep before I have to face the day a head of me. I am assuming that either I will be helping clean up the school or that school will be cancelled...either way I will keep you all posted.



(Monday's Lets get real is going go have to wait a day or two).

6 comments:

beki said...

Oh no Erin, how horrible! There's just no reason for people to do such things.
Please don't feel guilty about this. Those kids were sneaky and bad

Anonymous said...

Erin - I am so sorry! That is just awful. I never understand why people do such senseless things. Please don't feel too bad about it either - you didn't do a thing wrong.

Katie said...

Yikes! That's pretty awful. I'm glad they caught the creeps who did it.

Julie said...

Erin, I'm so sorry to hear about your school's vandalism...how awful! I hope you are feeling a bit better today. You certainly aren't responsible for their actions. It's good to know the police caught them.

BTW, thank you for your prayers and words. They helped a lot.. and overall, I think we had a wonderful day with family!

sulu-design said...

I'm so sorry, Erin, to hear about the incident last night, and I hope that things weren't as bad today as they seemed they'd be last night. It might sound strange, but I have to say that I take comfort in the fact that you're so upset by this - we all should be. The school in which I work is covered with graffiti, the bulletin boards are often vandalized, and students litter without a second thought. I feel sometimes like too few of the adults in the students' lives get upset and do something about it all. I'm glad to know that such incidents are not common or accepted where you are, and that parents like you get concerned and involved. At least it sounds like you've got a stong community, responsive police, and a determined head yourself. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Erin, I'm so sorry! It's completely natural to feel guilty, but don't.

That's pretty scary, for sure.

XO,
Jill