Wednesday, May 16, 2007

It's all about the list!

Before kids I used to be anally organized. I would make lists for everything under the sun, at work and at home. However, as I had my kids the lists gradually began to disappear and I started to feel a bit overwhelmed. I always had so much too do yet I couldn't quite figure out what. I had become disorganized and stressed out. I also felt like I had accomplished nothing during my day. On a philosophical level I new I was accomplishing a lot in raising healthy, happy, well loved kids. However, I wanted something to show for my time, something a bit more concrete and tangible! Sound crazy? Maybe but for me list making helps!

I find it so satisfying making a list and crossing things off when the task is completed. It actually makes me feel less stressed out and also that I've done something with my day. Something as mundane as cleaning my toilet, paying the bills or organizing the linen closet suddenly becomes a great accomplishment. Can any of you relate? Or am I just completely neurotic? Hmm...maybe you better not answer that last question. TTFN...Off I go to make my grocery list and menu plan for next week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i go back and forth on the list. somedays it works well for me and on others, not so much. hope you get lots checked off yours today!

Anonymous said...

I am a list maker too. Once things are out of my brain and on paper, I relax and go forward in doing things. SOmetimes I even add things to the list after I do them and just cross the off, so that way it looks like I did more! Silly, I know!

beki said...

Oh no, I'm a big fan of the list. I've been making list all morning!

Katie said...

I'm a list maker! If it's not on a list there is no hope it will get done. Sometimes it doesn't get done even if it is on the list, but at least it's there!

Julie said...

I like making lists too... especially when I feel overwhelmed and unproductive! Like Randi's comment, I sometimes add things I've already done to the list - just so I can cross it off!

sulu-design said...

Lists keep me alive. I don't know what I'd do with out my list notebook. I've got all sorts in there: to-do ones, grocery ones, things I love/hat about NYC ones... even blog-realted ones!

Anonymous said...

You're not neurotic at all...unless I am, too. I have an entire pocket sized notebook with lists under different categories, like "for home" or "for me" or "errands" as well as regular to-do lists, menus and grocery lists. It makes so much sense to me to get it out of my head and onto paper. I completely intend to do this after our little one arrives, too.